I've been doing Wim Hof breathing and retention for some time now, and I want to share some tips. Although I cannot do 8 minutes like Erwan Le Corre, I can do a decent 4. Now, I'm not greedy, and because I prefer to spread knowledge and strengthen the pleb network, I decided to list my tips for intermediate Hoffers.
This post is my reaction to this pair of tweets:
I'm going to list the things I do to get to 4. If you can do more, please share with me.
Tips for reaching 4 minutes
- Clear your mind of errands, concerns, and plans - it negatively impacts your performance
- Start with the intention of doing a set amount of rounds, e.g. 3 or 5, more, but no less than 3 because it's qualitatively different experience
- It will take some time. Ensure nothing will bother you or demand your attention
- Lie down instead of sitting
- Flat, no pillows
- Don't make unnecessary movement
- Use your diaphragm: breathe into your belly first, then fill up the chest
- Start with a calm but full flow
- Continue, solely focusing on fullness and flow of your breath - maintain the depth of your breaths through
- Only use your mouth in and out, but
- at a random moment during breathing, you may do 5 strong breath-ins through your nose - it has its advantages as it triggers a nervous system reaction for increased oxygen uptake
- Make the last inhale super full, but don't push yourself with the final exhale - it's not Lion's Breath
- Relax, go with the flow, do your best to lose the sense of time passing
- Don't worry about your first swallow. It doesn't have to mean you're 50% or close to over
- Don't move, don't think
- When intense tingling arises, just observe it, try to detach from it
- If the urge to breathe is unbearable, start counting, e.g. if you know your goal is 3 minutes and you're at 2:40, start counting the last 20 seconds backward. This will focus your attention and by setting a goal, you're more likely to reach it. It does work in other physical activities too.
- Getting too hot (in the sun) or too cold (wind, or sometimes lying still without cover) can negatively affect your retention time
- Try an audio guide like this one:
Not mine, but I used it to reach 4 minutes. I wish you good luck. Feel free to let me know if this is good for you or if you think this guide is missing something.